I named this recipe “3-Week Taco Soup” because I’ve made 3 batches of it in the past 3 weeks, and I’ve had it every day for lunch, sometimes for dinner, and once for breakfast, and I’m not tired of it.
What makes it so good? EVERYTHING!! It’s delicious, inexpensive, nutritious, super easy to make, and freezes well.
3-week Taco Soup
- 1 pound of ground turkey (or 95% fat free ground beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 16-ounce cans of dark kidney beans
- 1 16-ounce can of corn
- 1 16-ounce can of tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 1 16-ounce can of diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- 1 small can of mild green chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
In a large pot, brown the ground turkey until fully cooked. Add the diced onion .
Add each can, including all the liquid in the can, to the pot.
Add the taco seasoning and ranch dressing packets,
Simmer for 20 minutes
Each serving has (approximately) 13g of protein, 6g fiber, 4g fat
There are some fun ways to vary up this soup too
- add a teaspoon of bbq sauce to a serving
- add some diced fresh jalapeno peppers
- add yellow squash (cut in thin half moon slices) (put in the same time as the onion)
- add a dash of your favorite hot sauce (I like sriracha in it)
- pour it over scrambled eggs
For more information, LIKE the Defying Obesity page on Facebook